The block on which Braeside Homestead is situated was taken up in 1869, during the opening of large tracts of Rosenthal run to selection in the late 1860s and early 1870s. The homestead itself was established in the mid-1870s. From 1879 to 1901 the property was developed as a model stud farm by Queensland pastoralist, politician and businessman William Allan. It is not certain who named the property, but by 1887 Braeside was identified in the local electoral roll as both the grazing property and a locality.
In purchasing Braeside, a well-watered grazing property on the southern Darling Downs, from FH Needham in 1879, Allan was able to concentrate on stock breeding and improvement, developing the property as a model stud farm, his pastoral headquarters, and his family’s permanent place of residence. At Braeside Allan established a purebred Hereford Cattle Stud and bred black Merino and Lincoln sheep, the wool selling well on the London market. He took a great interest in developing the stud, keeping detailed herd books. His bulls had a reputation for hardiness and longevity, and were in demand with graziers. Braeside Stud was sufficiently significant to Queensland to be featured in the Department of Agriculture’s Queensland Agricultural Journal of September 1899. At this time the property totalled about 12,000 acres, and included Mount Crystal. The Hereford cattle stud numbered over 1,000, all descended from high-class imported English stock. In addition there was a fine Jersey dairy herd at Braeside, and some cropping for home consumption, on the creek flats. The house was set amid extensive gardens and an orchard.
Braeside has been through many changes, the homestead itself was added to on a number of occasions and suffered significant fire damage on at least one occasion when a dormitory style wing burnt down. The Braeside cottage was originally attached to the homestead and served as the kitchen for a time. The property has had 15 different owners all with their own stories, the Bunning family owned the property from 1907 to 1924 and are pictured on this site .The Ernst family who bought the property in 2005 are responsible for the recent restoration which has brought the property back to its original glory. Braeside is currently owned by the Richards family who feel very fortunate and are passionate about their caretaker role of a very special piece of Australian History.